What a glorious day – Spring is really here and we have gotten out the BBQ to celebrate.
This delicious lamb recipe was in the Times this weekend by Katie Quinn Davies.
8 cardamom pods
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Sea salt and black pepper
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus an extra 2 lemons, quartered lengthways, pips removed
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
180ml extra virgin olive oil
1 x 1.5kg boneless leg of lamb, butterflied
1. Bruise cardamom pods with the back of a knife, extract the seeds and place them in a small, non-stick frying pan with coriander and fennel seeds. Toast for 2 minutes over a low-medium heat, or until fragrant.
2. Transfer the toasted spices to a mortar with cinnamon and 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Grind to a fine powder with a pestle. Add lemon zest, garlic and olice oil. Mix to form a paste.
3. Place the lamb on a large shallow dish and use hands to rub in marinade. Cover and put in fridge for 4 hours.
4. Once the lamb has been marinating for 3 hours, preheat the oven to 180C. Place lemon quarters on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and roast in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and set aside.
5. Heat a barbecue to high, or put a chargrill pan over a high heat. Remove the lamb from fridge and cook for 5 minutes on each side for medium rare. Set he meat aside and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
6. Slice the lamb, sprinkle with sea salt and serve on platter surrounded by roasted lemons.
7. Crack open your own brewed American Pale Ale, Star Spangled, sit back and enjoy!!